Sunday, January 27, 2008

Custom Jobs


In the beginning most of my work were custom jobs. One of my first was updating a living room set of valances and pillows. I went with the customer to the fabric store to help pick out fabrics and trimmings. She asked for ruffled valances for her windows and let me use her old ones as templates. I also covered sixteen existing pillows with the fabric and piping. Out of the sixteen I made three decorative pillows a bolster, envelope, and a tiered pillow. Now you would think sixteen pillows was enough but we still had fabric left over. An additional four pillows were made with fabric covered buttons. Along with the whole set I made runners for the coffee and end tables. It was a lot of work especially covering all the piping but in the end the room turned out great and most important the customer loved it. I still do custom work it's a nice change from my everyday sewing. It also shows some of my other talents because I don't do a lot of home decor items and it's a great addition to my portfolio.

No comments: